Scoliosis is not that uncommon in our society. I battle it myself and have found that I am aided in that battle with yoga. Scoliosis is a condition in which the spine experiences a curvature that renders one hip higher and that same shoulder lower. This can cause a number of problems from shoulder to hip, including respiratory problems. For some, surgery is an option, for others – surgery is out of the question. Rather than searching for a medical solution to helping battle scoliosis, yoga can offer relief by stretching and contracting the muscles on either side of the spine. This being said, here is a list of the best asanas that help to stretch the spinal muscles:
1. Kurmasana (Tortoise pose)
2. Balasana (Child’s pose)
3. Paschimottanasana (Seated forward bend)
Here is a list of the asanas that help to contract and strengthen the spinal muscles:
1. Salabhasana (Locust pose)
2. Urdhva Danurasana (Wheel pose)
3. Purvottanasana (Upward Plank pose)
Additionally, it is always important to twist the spine and the best poses for that are:
2. Parivrtta Trikonasana (Revolved triangle pose)
3. Parivrtta Parsvakonasana (Revolved angle pose)
Both Parivrtta Trikonasana and Parivrtta Parsvakonasana also stretch the hamstrings which can alleviate lower back tightness as tight hamstrings can pull the pelvic girdle posterior, creating misalignment in the body.
Practicing these poses can alleviate some of the symptoms common with scoliosis while strengthening the mind & body connection.
Here’s to your healthy spine!
- Scoliosis (Curvature of the Spine) (ilikequotes.wordpress.com)
- Help Relieve Scoliosis Symptoms with Pilates Exercises (pilates.answers.com)
- Don’t Get Thrown for a Curve – National Scoliosis Foundation Urges… (prweb.com)
- Scoliosis & Yoga (navigationofkindness.com)